So another year has come and gone, but 2009 wasn't like any other year. It was a big one for me: first road trip, two siblings getting married, little Nixyn was born, new friendships, graduating from Higley High School, attending Eastern Arizona College, and getting to know myself better. This past year was overwhelming, but I have learned so much about growing up. I'm sure most people go through this stage at my age, but it's a different experience for everyone.
It was tough to say goodbye to friends I have known for most of my life. All of us went to different schools. It's been fun to reunite and share our first semester of college experiences. I already have one friend who is engaged! I'm waiting for the day when there seems to be a wedding every weekend. That will be weird. I also have a good friend who left on a mission. It's been fun to hear about his experiences in the MTC and in Panama.
Graduating from high school was crazy! I was so ready. It was sort of emotional, but the anticipation for the future helped me forget that another chapter of my life was through. I miss the simplicity of high school, but I don't think I could survive another day.
My first semester of college was eye opening. I loved it! I made a few friends and I miss them dearly! It was hard to leave Thatcher (surprisingly) but I'm excited for my classes at MCC.
It's weird how much I have learned about myself. I thought I was comfortable in my skin, but once I was put into a totally different situation, I questioned a lot of things, but it lead me to realize a lot if things which has made me a better person. That's probably a really general statement, but I don't really know how I can explain it. Overall, I'm happy my parents forced me to leave for a semester.
Looking towards the future...
I'll now be attending MCC for two of my classes, the other two being online through MCC. My online classes are Psychology 101 and Computers 105. I will be taking a Clothing Construction class and Commercial Baking class at MCC. I'm hoping to finally figure out my major or a career path this semester so I might know if I should go to Southern Virginia University.
I was reading Paula and Evan's blog and decided to make a one word resolution for myself: happiness. I know it's generic and boring, but I need a little happiness in my life. I need to be happy with the choices I make. I need to be happy with my life. I need to be happy with myself. I need to be happy with my body image. I was talking about this with my wonderful friend, Katy, and she pointed out that I should make it a goal to bring happiness into other people's lives as well as mine. I love my friends : ) They are inspirational to me.
I hope the best for everyone in this upcoming year! I hope it is a memorable one!
12.31.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Great post, Alicia. Your post inspired me as well. With all the frustrations I experienced at EAC, I think I grew a lot from my experiences there. I am glad you felt the same thing. I have a hard time making the conscious decision to be happy-- it is hard work for me. I look forward to hearing about your year and maybe happiness can b goal for 2011! =)
I am so jealous about the clothing construction class! It sounds like great fun!
What a wonderful post. I was just thinking about happiness this morning and how it really IS a choice. I hope you can achieve your resolution because you deserve all of the happiness in the world. I love you!
I am so proud of you!!! Dad
Post a Comment